It’s been an emotionally draining couple of weeks. Black people as a whole, we’ve been triggered on so many levels. Our mental health is at risk, we are in pain, we are broken, tired, and exhausted.
In order to survive the trauma of racism, black people, we need to take care of ourselves. we do that by protecting our space and not allowing racist people in our personal space.
We have to take care of ourselves. We have to continue to grow love and joy in the midst of all the hate and oppression. We need to be mindful of our mental health and take care of ourselves in order to survive.
There are a lot of things that black people can do for self-care. One is to create a sense of peace and safety in their space, which can be done by using appropriate boundaries and giving ourselves permission to set them. Another is practicing self-love by taking care of our physical needs, eating healthy foods, exercising, and getting enough sleep.
We are survivors! We are going to make it! Our black lives don’t only matter, our black lives are loved, valued, and appreciated.
Here are 14 things you can do to keep your peace and self-care.
1. Protect your space.
2. You are allowed to feel your feelings, block, and remove everyone in your circle who are making you justify your feelings.
3. You don’t have to argue with racists.
4. You don’t owe white people any racist lessons. They know.
5. The allies and those who care to know what to do you don’t have to use your energy to teach.
6. Take the time to play with your children. They are feeling this too, and they probably don’t know how to talk about it. So you might hear:
“Can you play with me?”,
“Can you paint with me?”
Listen and play with your children.
7. You don’t need to be plugged into the news cycle every second of the day. Protect your peace at all costs.
8. Teaching the kids to have joy is also fighting racism.
9. Breathe! A lot of this stuff happening is not new to us but having it at the forefront all day every day for the past few weeks is enough to trigger anxiety attacks. We are not going to cure racism in a day, take your time, slow down, and take a few breaths.
10. Remember to eat.
11. Play with your plants.
12. Drink your tea, coffee, or wine.
13. Rewatch your funny shows.
14. Do the things that make you happy.
We are tired and exhausted. Please, take time to recharge brothers and sisters, take good care of yourself.
You can not pour from empty cups.